2Frame the data
What is the process to turn your raw data into something polished for an interview?You have your raw data. Next you have to figure out how you want to frame the data, then you apply the data to the frame you chose, then you see what story the data is telling, and then you see if someone else can understand the story. To begin, let's observe a perfect answer that you can emulate. This will become your frame.
Example of a perfect answer to an LP question (i.e., your frame)We listened to hundreds of interview responses to find this perfect LP answer. First, we are going to demonstrate why it is such an effective answer. Then we encourage you to listen to the answer in its entirety.
A great answer goes in a perfect, full circle.The candidate's answer starts with a key statement of the problem, and it ends with a summary of how he solved the problem. When you craft stories that go in a perfect, full circle (from problem to solution), your impact is baked into the answer.
Speak in a way that both an expert and an idiot can understand.Albert Einstein said: “You don't really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother.” When you examine the answer, notice how simple his word choice is. Every word in the sentence is necessary, yet there are no words you have to google to understand.
Focus on individual contribution.Most of his answer focuses on the actions he took (i.e., his “individual contribution”). Because of this, he avoids getting bogged down by minutiae, such as: technical jargon, details on how these teams and business units work, the specifics of the approach they took in this architecture, or explaining how this particular technology functions.
Hear the perfect LP answer for yourself (don't mind the sharks 😉 )
3IterateNow that you have your frame, you can build answers atop the frame to see how they fit. Doing this will help you find out what works and what doesn't.
Talk through your answers.The best way to practice is with an experienced interviewer who has domain expertise. If that's not available to you, then you'll want to use our example questions, record some answers, and analyze your own responses. Overall, this isn't a bad choice, but it isn't as helpful as practicing with an expert because feedback from yourself is limited by blind spots.
Use gems, metrics, and impact as much as possible.It's impossible to overdo it with these three skills. There's nowhere in an answer that they can't be used effectively. Get comfortable using them. Experiment. Find what works for you.
Clearly answer the question and demonstrate your passion for delighting customers.As we proved earlier, there's little to no value in guessing the underlying LP or attempting to aim your answer at one specific LP. Instead, practice answering each question clearly and broadcasting your obsession with making customers happy.
Make 80% of your answer about individual contribution.Focus on making “I” statements (as in, “actions that I took”). This leaves 20% of your answer to cover “everything else.” Some examples of “everything else” are: a) “We” (or “actions we took”), b) “How stuff works in this company (or team or organization),” and c) “little things worth mentioning.”